Want something different for breakfast or brunch? These pancake and waffle alternatives give you sweet and savory, creamy and delicious flavors in one bite. Paleo, gluten-free, and whole-family friendly, they also store well for a snack or meal the next day.
I add apple with the sweet potatoes to bring in a little sweet acidity that pairs really well with the bacon and maple syrup. You can certainly omit the bacon for a vegetarian option, if you still eat eggs. The baby arugula adds a touch of bitter to balance the sweetness of the syrup and yogurt. I prefer to top it with an over-easy egg as the creamy runny eggs melds everything together so well. Guaranteed winner!
Sweet Potato Fritter Stack
- Food processor
- 2 slices Bacon diced (optional)
- 1 Sweet potato peeled and shredded (i used a food processor with the shredder blade)
- ½ Gala apple shredded (also used food processor)
- 2 Eggs large, preferably certified humane
- 2 tbsp Almond flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil divided
- 1 cup Greek yogurt low-fat or non-fat
- ⅓ cup Ricotta cheese part-skim
- 2 tbsp Pure maple syrup
- 1 handful Baby arugula chopped
- In a saute pan, render bacon over medium heat until almost crispy. Drain on paper towels on a plate.
- With a towel or paper towels, squeeze as much of the remaining liquid from the shredded sweet potato and apple as possible.
- Combine sweet potato, apple, bacon, 2 eggs, almond flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
- Heat half of the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a nonstick skillet or griddle.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the heated pan and depress/shape into a 3-4" round fritter, about 1/2" thick.
- Cook each fritter 3-4 minutes per side, working in batches. If desired color is not achieved, cook a little longer.
- In another bowl or a mini-food processor, combine Greek yogurt, ricotta, and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Place one fritter on a plate, spread the yogurt mixture, then place another fritter on top of it and add more yogurt. Top with baby arugula and a fried egg.